#1 Rest: Rest is vital to your immune health. Without proper sleep your body can be left more vulnerable to surrounding microbes and have fewer reserves to fight them.
#2 Cut out sugar: Studies have shown that when there is extra sugar in your body, it’s white blood cells get sluggish and are not as quick to attack foreign invaders, which allows pathogens to multiply.
#3 Manage stress: Stress effects every system of the body. When in a state of stress, your body can not focus on protecting you from bacteria, viruses, chemicals, etc as your energy is directed at whatever the stressor may be.
#4 Movement: Using your muscles helps to move white blood cells and your lymphatic tissue around the body so that they work to eliminate any unwanted microbes.
#5 Eat the rainbow: Fruits and vegetables are filled with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that we need for our immune system! Color variations in produce represent different nutrients and vitamins, so try to eat every color in the rainbow.
#6 Hydrotherapy: Raising your body temperature helps activate enzymes that the immune system uses to fight off infections. Help out your immune system by warming yourself up and opening circulation through hydrotherapy, saunas, and hot baths.
# 7 Supplements to consider:
- Vitamin D – if you have low vitamin D, your immune system will be struggling. Vitamin D directly effects white blood cells to function properly.
- Vitamin C – protects healthy cells and helps the immune system function
- Zinc – prevents viral infections and interferes with virus replication
- Elderberry – prevents viral infections and reduces duration of illness
- Mushrooms –Some species of mushrooms stimulate immune cells to do their work.
- Echinacea – prevents viral infections and stimulates the immune system
- Probiotics – when needed, probiotics can be a game-changer for immune health. If you have a history of antibiotic-use or your body is over-run by “bad” bacteria, the right probiotics can help clear them out and re-balance normal flora.
** It’s best to consult a physician before starting any supplements to make sure they’re right for you. This list is for informational purposes only. Please ask us about quality products that we trust and dosing instructions.